Our annual event, Esquire Neighbourhood, is back, and like everything this year, it looks a little different as we take it (mostly) virtual. This free, digital-first festival of interviews, conversations, performances, workshops, games and experiences will take place 19-22 November 2020, and features some of the world's leading actors, musicians, designers, photographers, athletes and innovators. Register here so you don't miss a thing.
INTERVIEWS & PERFORMANCES
To launch the 2020 edition and set the mood, Singaporean singer-songwriter Charlie Lim will perform an exclusive acoustic session for Esquire Neighbourhood 2020.
With a spate of projects set for release in 2021, the Malaysia-born, Singapore-raised and US-based actor and stand-up comedian Ronny Chieng (The Daily Show, Crazy Rich Asians) joins Esquire Neighbourhood 2020 to discuss his career.
American actor, dancer and singer Harry Shum Jr. (Shadowhunters, Glee) sees out 2020 with a slate of new films on the horizon. Next month, he leads in the release of All My Life, a tear-jerking romantic drama. In this interview, Shum discusses the making of the film, as well as cultural identity, honing his skills as a triple-threat performer, and the shifting nature of Hollywood.
After sold-out shows in 2019, American musician Lauv was set to return to Asia this year, though the pandemic hasn’t stopped him from keeping busy. In this special one-on-one conversation, the singer and songwriter will discuss his latest single, his career journey, and creativity in a time of crisis.
British-Singaporean actor and martial artist Lewis Tan is best known for his roles in Deadpool, Wu Assassins and AMC’s Into The Badlands. Next, he’ll star in the blockbuster Mortal Kombat, an adaptation of the popular video game. Between his projects, Tan joins Esquire Neighbourhood to discuss his martial arts training, diversity in Hollywood, and the challenges and opportunities in bringing comics and video games to the big screen.
OCEANS IN CRISIS: INNOVATION AS SOLUTION
Plastic pollution, overfishing and global warming have pushed our world’s oceans to the brink, but there are solutions at hand, and together we have an opportunity to make a difference. Join us as we dive into one of the most pressing environmental issues of our time with a panel of inspiring speakers.
- Cody Simpson is best known as a singer and songwriter, and additionally serves as the UNDP Ocean Advocate, for which he uses his profile to raise awareness of the important role our oceans play in the health of our planet.
- Cyrill Gutsch is the founder and CEO of Parley for the Oceans, a new form of environmental organisation that brings together creators, thinkers and leaders across brands, governments, creative communities and environmental groups to raise awareness for the beauty of the oceans and collaborate on projects that can end their destruction.
- George Bullard is a world record-breaking explorer, endurance athlete and motivational speaker, and is on a mission to rewild humans. His forthcoming expedition is an unassisted journey to the North Pole to collect vital scientific data on the impact of microplastics in the Arctic Ocean.
- Ben Lecomte is a marathon athlete best known as the first person to swim over 330 nautical miles through the Great Pacific Garbage Patch in 80 days, an achievement acknowledged in the 2020 Guinness Book of World Records. Lecomte’s mission was to analyse the amount and type of plastic in the ocean as well as its impact on the ecosystem, and followed his 2018 attempt to swim from Tokyo to San Francisco to bring attention to the declining state of our oceans and collect valuable scientific data.
PHOTOGRAPHY IN THE AGE OF INSTAGRAM
In an era when amateur iPhone snapshots can garner millions of likes, what’s the role of a photographer, and how has the professional artform evolved to serve our social media feeds? We delve into this turning point to learn how the lines between social media and photography are dissolving, and what the future holds for the camera.
- Lee Yik Keat is a self-taught photographer based in Singapore. At the age of 24, he has accumulated a following of close to 400,000 followers on Instagram, where most of his work can be found. He was enlisted as the tour photographer for American musician Lauv, while his clients have included adidas, Changi Airport, Samsung and the Singapore Tourism Board.
- Margaret Zhang is an Australian-born Chinese filmmaker, photographer, consultant and writer based between New York and Shanghai. She has worked both in front of and behind the camera for a range of brands and publications including Harper’s Bazaar, Gucci, MatchesFashion and Chanel, and is currently working on her first feature film.
- Tom Blachford specialises in interiors, architecture and aerial photography with a distinctive mastery of long exposure. His work transforms predictable known environments into surreal and dreamlike worlds by using available light sources, such as the moon or neon street lighting. His debut monograph, Midnight Modern, was published in 2017.
MENSWEAR NOW: FASHION FOR 2020 AND BEYOND
The suit is dead. Activewear is everywhere. Work-from-home is the new norm. What does this mean for menswear? Three designers at the forefront of fashion design explore the social trends shaping the way we dress, and share insights into their creative process.
- Feng Chen Wang is a menswear label based between Shanghai and London that has collaborated with Levi’s and Converse, and is stocked in high-profile stores including Lane Crawford and Dover Street Market. The label’s namesake founder and designer has been globally recognised for her ability to marry contemporary functionality with her Chinese heritage.
- Daniel w. Fletcher gained experience at brands including Louis Vuitton and Burberry before establishing his namesake menswear label, which is now stocked at stores including Liberty and Ssense. A runner-up on Netflix series Next in Fashion, the designer this year began his role as the artistic director of iconic Italian brand Fiorucci.
- Emily Adams Bode founded her label, Bode, in 2016 and was the first female designer to show at New York Fashion Week: Men’s. The label is known for its one-of-a-kind garments that blend personal narrative with historic craft techniques.
WORKSHOPS & EXPERIENCES
TOUCHY & TABOO: HOW TO WRITE WITH CAUTION
Can you write about race relations in Singapore? Are politics off limits? How do you approach LGBTQI+ topics? Author, columnist and radio host Neil Humphreys will show you how, arming you with the skills, advice and inspiration to spark your very own bestseller.
THE LEICA CONVERSATIONS: REMINISCING JAPAN WITH LEE YIK KEAT
Travelling may be off-limits, and while we covet the concept of a reciprocal green lane, in this event we will transport you to the land of the rising sun: Japan. Photographer Lee Yik Keat revisits some of the country's most beautiful locations and shares how techniques and serendipity come together to craft incredible imagery, showing you how to capture photos that’ll impress even the most advanced of professionals.
BODY BURNER WORKOUT
Load up on fluid (you'll need it!) and get psyched for this 30-minute HIIT workout with Level Singapore. Combining interval and strength training, the workout is designed to burn calories and also build strength. You will not need any equipment for this, so just tune in and follow along! 10 participants also stand to walk away with a complimentary class at Level Singapore (worth $32.10).
Should you bring a Shiraz to a dinner party? Or a Cabernet to a barbeque? How do you even tell them apart? In two exclusive masterclasses, Penfolds’ brand ambassador Sam Stephens sits down with co-founder and creative director of Zendyll Records Jon Chua, and fashion creative Mae Tan; and TV presenters, hosts, and actors Edward Russell and Bobby Tonelli, to share his tips on differentiating and choosing the right wine for each occasion.
TAKE A TEST DRIVE
It's time to experience a new dynamic dimension. Equipped with a sportier R-Line body kit to match its distinctive headlights and LED tail light cluster, the Volkswagen Golf R-Line takes to the road with style and presence. Book your test drive now and we'll bring the R-Line to your doorstep!
TEST YOUR LUCK
At the Zegna Styling Suite, spin the slot machine to discover the Esquire team's favourite Zegna pieces, and unlock a complimentary styling experience. 20 lucky winners will receive a surprise from Zegna during their experience.
VISIT THE GAMING ARCADE
We want you to have fun at Esquire Neighbourhood, and it wouldn't hurt to get rewarded while you're at it! Complete the memory game and stand to win one of the prizes you see behind each card. We promise it's that easy, and there are prizes to be won from Braun Buffel, Coach, Leica, Martell and more.